Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Marley & Me: Shocking
Yes, I found this movie shocking, and here's why:
1. Two young people get married, even though the woman is not pregnant.
2. When she does get pregnant, they do not immediately divorce and her husband does not desert her, so that she has to be a SINGLE MOTHER.
3. A successful journalist, she decides that she will put her career aside to stay home and take care of her children, since she feels that when she is working she is doing neither job well, and that taking care of her children is more important than her career. Her husband does not really balk but decides to figure out how to get more money so she can stay at home.
4. We see that as a mother at home, there is indeed enough work so that she is exhausted and frazzled, but has no regrets that she left her job.
5. Neither partner ever contemplates divorce, even when things get tough and they face real disappointments and problems.
6. The womanizing friend of the husband is portrayed for exactly what he is: a jerk.
7. Each partner supports the other and seeks their own happiness in the happiness of the other. (Where did this come from?)
The DVD should come with a warning: This film is about a FUNCTIONAL family.
And a real functional family, not like the dysfunction in Little Miss Sunshine that we are supposed to embrace as the NEW Functional Family.
Strangely, watching Marley and Me was a lot of fun. Hope you get to see it.