Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fun at the Sewing Machine

Thanks to a hiatus in work, I was able to spend last week doing some sewing with my sewing machine. I find that I can knit no matter how tired I feel, but sewing requires far more concentration, and I need to be on my toes,especially since I'm a novice and still terrified of my machine.


I had a lot of fun making this apron as a belated Christmas present for my aunt. I bought a 1-yard remnant of this fabric on sale with no idea what I would do with it. But I like the almost stained glass effect on this apron with the fabric and black binding. The pattern is Simplicity 4282.


Then I made this nightgown for myself. I wanted a winter nightgown that was more light-weight than flannel and softer, and then I remembered I had bought this soft fabric as a remnant, again unable to pass up the lovely flowered print. So I bought Simplicity 9012, an easy nightgown pattern. While the apron took me 2 days because of adjustments I had to make, I was able to finish the nightgown in an evening, and it is comfortable. This Simplicity pattern is very easy, and I hope to make myself some soft white muslin nightgowns for the summer from it.

Once I got going, I felt like I could easily become addicted to my sewing machine and can now understand why Anna over at Pleasant View Schoolhouse always wants to bring her machine on vacations! She is a fabulous seamstress. Her blog is my browser homepage.

In my dreams I make all of my own clothes -- with exactly the design I want, exactly the fabric I want, and exactly the fit I need. I like to read about Gertie's adventures in this regard at Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing. And it's always fun to check Sew Retro to see what a lot of talented people are up to.

I learned how to sew in home economics class in high school with help from my mother -- opportunities for which I am very grateful. My mother sewed dresses for me when I was in elementary school and a gown for a prom. In high school and college I sewed myself skirts and dresses. Then for a long time, I sewed only curtains. Now I am venturing back to make aprons, dresses, and Christmas gifts.

I find it fun and sometimes suspenseful to see how stitching turns a perfectly flat boring object (in shape, that is) into a three-dimensional article fit for a particular purpose. If you like the finished product, it's a real pleasure.