Saturday, March 5, 2011

How Do They Make Those Bejewelled Dresses?


The Wall Street Journal reports that beading and embroidery were prominent in this year's Fashion Week. If you would like to see how these elaborate dresses are created, watch the movie Brodeuses (Sequins), available at Netflix -- a visually beautiful movie and one of my favorites.


Scene from Brodeuses, when a young girl dedicated to embroidery applies as an assistant to the local embroidery contractor for Paris haute couture.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I remember you recommending this movie before. We got it and loved it. In fact, you've been my go-to girl for a lot of picks. Winter's Bone, and other French films. The sequin dress is beautiful, the model looks a bit put out, though. Don't you agree? :)

Linda said...

Hi Jodi,
I think the model looks kind of awful, but I like the dress, although I can't imagine wearing it. The design of the beading reminded me of the swirls in the girl's designs. I love her passion and dedication to creative embroidery. There are of course some things in the movie that are troubling, but I like the relationship between the girl and the woman and how they both change. I'm so glad you liked this movie. I found the craft part of it fascinating.

Jodi said...

Me, too. On the troubling parts and the relationship/craft part. Sad thing is, the movie could've carried on quite fine without a certain scene. Such is the world.

Linda said...

Exactly.