Sunday, February 1, 2015

Paintings and Quilts--a "Few of My Favorite Things"



The Quilting Bee by Grandma Moses


Finishing the Quilt by Mary Whyte, a watercolorist from South Carolina who has created numbers of paintings featuring quilts or quilt making.


The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program


The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program. These two murals are across the street from each other.


Garret Room by Andrew Wyeth, 1962. As Wyeth describes it in his autobiography, "I made this drybrush of Tom Clark in his attic room. I came across him--I just prowl around people's houses, when they let me, of course, at all times of the day and night--stretched out on that amazing bedspread that his grandmother had made."


The Cliff Dwellers by George Bellows, 1913. Can you find the quilt in this painting?

If you know of other paintings with quilts, I'd love to hear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found this board on pinterest and thoughht you wouldlike it, it's women quilting, etc

https://www.pinterest.com/perapalace/sewing-knitting-quilting-paintings/